Saturday 26 April 2014

Japanese stir-fried okra vegetable recipe



My husband's grandparents are from Okinawa, Japan so he grew up on an Okinawan/ Japanese influenced diet. Okra is a green vegetable that is grown and popular in the Okinawan diet. I remember eating okra the first time I visited my husband's parents and couldn't believe how tasty it was in his mother's homemade Japanese seasoning. I haven't got her original recipe yet but here's my version of Japanese stir-fried okra, I hope you like it as much as we do in our house!

Ingredients:
Few handfuls of okra
1 tbsp sake (Japanese rice wine)
Half tsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
Shichimi-togarashi (Japanese seven spice)

Instructions:
1. Wash the fresh okra under cold water and drain.

2. Using a sharp knife cut off the top and end of the okra. Then, slice about half an inch thick to allow the flavour to completely absorb into the okra pieces when stir-frying (see pic below).


3. Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil on high heat on a non-stick frying pan.

4. Toss the okra pieces into the frying pan and after frying for about a minute add the sake and mix using a large spoon. Continue to fry for another minute. Then, sprinkle the sugar evenly over the okra and fry for another minute continuing to mix.

5. Finally pour the soy sauce over the okra. Take off the heat after one minute or less.

6. Season with shichimi-togarashi (Japanese seven spice).

Tips:
- Okra can be found in Asian stores. 

- This dish can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and eaten hot or cold.
- Leftovers are perfect for a bento box (Japanese lunchbox).

4 comments:

  1. I've never cooked with okra before! Hopefully if I follow these steps in your recipe, I can make it as good as you! What other Japanese cuisine recipes do you have? I'm learning to cook as good as this restaurant we went to the other night.
    Celine | http://www.sushiclinton.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celine, thanks for the comment. I have a selection of recipes on this blog. There's a search bar on the right-hand side to look up recipes. Thanks Fiona

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry but when did you add the seven spice? I assume it's at the end but you don't actually say that (unless I somehow missed it - though I read through the instructions a few times).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I've updated the instructions to say you should season with seven spice at the end when the dish is ready to serve.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...