Thursday 2 January 2014

Homemade Vegetarian Furikake Recipe


During the Christmas holidays my friend came home from Japan with her three children and stayed with us for a few nights. On the first morning of their stay I asked the kids what they wanted for breakfast and they said rice and furikake!! Furikake is a mix of dry ingredients that Japanese people love to use to season rice. I didn't have any furikake in the house so I made this recipe with ingredients I had in the cupboard. You can buy furikake in Asian markets but I like to make my own as I can control the amount of salt and sugar and avoid MSG.

For this recipe, I'm using milled Irish dillisk which is made by an Irish company called Sea of Vitality. They have a great selection of seaweed products including the milled dillisk, ground kelp and a bread mix with seaweed.  I also use this milled dillisk for soups, stews and bread recipes. 


Ingredients:
8 tsp milled dillisk (dulse)
8 tsp black sesame seeds
8 tsp white sesame seeds
Freshly ground sea salt (to season)

Instructions:

1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. 

2. Put in air tight container (e.g. empty jam jar).

3. It can be used as it is. Simply sprinkle over rice or add to other dishes/ salads.


Tips:
- You can use other dry ingredients for the furikake mix such as dry nori flakes, bonito flakes etc.
- Furikake can be sprinkled over a bowl of rice or onigiri (rice balls). It can also be mixed with breadcrumbs for coating fish and chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...